Sunday, June 12, 2011

Healthy Dinner #1 - Whole Wheat Sweet Potato PIzza


Lately, I have been trying to eat only food that is has no refined carbohydrates, sugar or dairy. I've also cut back on caffeine by only drinking jasmine green tea, herbal teas and water (no wine for the time being either. sigh.) Maybe it lead me into a full on 21-day Junger Cleanse Detox (which is a little scary and I am not to commit to that). In the meantime, I hope that some of my annoying health ailments of late will be reduced. But how fun can life be without white flour, sugar, milk, cheese and champagne?!?! It's actually been much easier than I thought and I really don't feel like I am missing anything - during the week anayway. Also, it's given me a chance to experiment with some recipes. Here's the first Pizza with sweet potato and whole wheat dough with spinach and shallot topping. It was yummy.


The Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Dough Recipe:

For the Dough:
1 large or 2 small sweet potato (equal to 1 1/2 cups mashed), peeled, cut into pieces and boiled until soft
2 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 oz. cold water
2 TB olive oil

For the Topping:
2 tomatoes
3 cloves garlic - crushed
1 can beans (pinto, black, whatever really)
5 shallots or 1 onion
1/2 bag spinach
olive oil
salt & pepper
mixed herbs

I kneaded the ingredients for the dough in a bowl before putting it on the counter to roll out. Roll to 3/4 inch thickness and then place onto a pizza pan sheet.

Once the pizza dough is on the sheet, drizzle with olive oil, mixed herbs and crushed garlic. Top with sliced tomatoes. Bake in a high heat oven 200ÂșC for 30 minutes.

For the topping slice shallots and simmer in olive oil in a small pan. Add Beans and spinch until wilted. Remove the dough from oven and pour contents of pan onto pizza. Voila!
refine


No comments:

Post a Comment